Do you want to get a better understanding of what programs are being added to your computer? Then WinPatrol, a neat system utility that’s compatible with Windows 95 – Vista, is the program for you. WinPatrol monitors system areas that malicious programs must attack and use. If anything changes, Scotty (the system tray Icon) will alert you.
In most cases, it will be a legitimate program you have recently installed. You can decide to keep it, remove it, or disable it, based on information provided by WinPatrol. With WinPatrol, in your system tray, you can monitor your system, startup programs, services, cookies and current tasks. WinPatrol allows you to terminate processes and enable, or disable, startup programs.
I have been using this free gem for years and it just gets better with every release!
There are many additional features that make WinPatrol a very powerful addition to your security toolbox.
Take a look at the following from the developer’s site:
Enhanced Keylogger Detection
- The use of keyloggers for illegal purposes has exploded. A Schenectady man was recently jailed for up to three years for felony eavesdropping after putting a keylogger on his wife’s computer. I’ve heard too many stories of abuse made possible due to keyloggers so it’s time for it to stop. While WinPatrol PLUS had always detected keyloggers we’ve enhanced this feature and it’s now available to free users so everyone is protected.
Interactive PLUS code Activation
- Unfortunately the number of users depending on illegal PLUS codes has become a problem. While honored by the worldwide popularity of WinPatrol this could slow down access to PLUS information by our paid supporters. Our new version will do more to screen out invalid codes. In a few cases, users may find their valid codes are no longer working correctly. Those affected can write to support @ WinPatrol.com and we’ll make sure they receive the correct code.
Optimized Detection of New Services
- As more and more programs move to the Windows Service model it become apparent that this may be a popular avenue of attack in the future. The routine used to monitor and detect new Window Services has been optimized to make this process transparent.
Decrease CPU Usage and Conflicts
- Conflicts with some other registry intense programs may have resulted in abnormally high CPU usage on past versions. WinPatrol 14 includes some intelligent routines to allow complete protection without fighting over resources with other security suites and system level programs.
Default -expressboot option
- WinPatrol now includes a -expressboot option which will be used when machines boot up for the first time. This new feature optimizes boot time and allows other applications to maximize their initialization routines.
Regular Registry Cleanup
- Some registry cleaners have complained that we don’t clean up some data stored in the registry quickly enough. This version will remove information that is no longer needed and “First Detected” information on a regular basic when the file no longer exists.
Download at: BillP Studios
For a comprehensive security article on this Blog, “The Top 10 Free Security Applications Your Security Toolbox Can’t Be Without! Click here.