SerifSoftware has an interesting way to get you to buy their latest software offerings. They will give you an older version of any of their software packages for free. An interesting twist on the usual “try it for free for 30 days” we are all pretty familiar with.
I have used, and tested, Serif’s free editions for 10+ years now, and I have found that even their older software is more than up to the tasks I set.
Sure, the applications may be older than the current versions, but in terms of functionality and features, generally you are not missing much. Most software today is overblown and bloated with features that many users have little or no need of. So, in this older version there are not as many tools as might find with more recent products, but those that are there tend to be the ones that are most used by typical users.
Despite the slightly dated appearance, this is not an ‘old’ program that’s been revived just for give-away. PhotoPlus is still an amazing photo editing application that enables you to fix and enhance digital photos, create bitmap graphics and even web animations.
With PhotoPlus, you can easily adjust brightness and contrast, color balance, remove red-eye and make numerous other image editing adjustments and enhancements.
You’ll find a large number of tools for creating web-savvy images, including an Export Optimizer for gauging the appearance of an image at various output settings. As well, a group of web animation tools will help you import and export GIF files. You can even let PhotoPlus do all the hard work and create the animations for you.
Image slicing tools are another web feature that you just wouldn’t expect to find in a free package. With these tools you can sub-divide an image into invisible segments, each of which can then be given a hyperlink and popup window. Alternatively, you can add hotspots to your web page.
Another unexpected extra – that will be on some users’ essentials list – is the option to work in CMYK mode to create CMYK separations or view the image in its printer-ready form.
Though the layout is somewhat dated and the range of editing tools is not as extensive as in more recent applications, this free program is still capable of outputting amazing results.
Because of its simple layout, this is an easy program to pick up and work with, especially for those with little or no previous experience.
Overall PhotoPlus is an excellent, and probably the most complete free graphics editor and it will more than likely exceed the average users editing needs.
· Enhance your images with easy-to-use creative tools, such as paintbrush, airbrush, clone, smudge and erase – adjustable brush settings include size, shape, softness and fade
· Apply bevels and drop shadows to create sophisticated-looking text and images. Use the layer manager to add to and enhance images without affecting the originals
· Adjust brightness, contrast, sharpness, color hue, saturation, remove red-eye and more. Enhance, repair and tweak your photos for great results
· The versatile Deform tool lets you rotate, resize, skew, reshape and add perspective to any selection or layer
· Add editable, deformable text to your images and further enhance your text with drop shadows and bevel effects
· Create your own animated GIFs for websites and
· Divide images into individual sections that can be clicked on to link to other web pages and websites, just like text hyperlinks. PhotoPlus 6 creates all the HTML code ensuring your images appear properly
· Simultaneously view up to four previews that display the relationship between image file size and quality, making it easy to decide how to save and export images for every purpose
· Add ready-made, customizable QuickShapes to your images. Choose from a range including speech bubbles, starbursts and spirals
Download at: SerifSoftware