My good buddy from the Pacific Northwest, and popular guest writer, Glenn Taggart, is excited about the freeware web based media streamer Orb.
Have I mentioned I have a large music collection? For the past year, I have managed to convert my hundreds of CD’s to digital format so I can preserve them and of course listen to them with my computer. I have also bought Western Digital’s WDTV Live so I can wirelessly stream them from my computer to my stereo system so I can rock the house!!
The last remaining task that I have recently accomplished is to be able to stream my music collection through any internet connection.
Orb is a web based media streamer that is so simple to set up, a caveman can do it. An added bonus with Orb is to be able to remotely access your computer folders and files as well.
The process is very simple. You install the client side software on your home computer, go to settings and set up the drive(s), folder, and file access you want. For Orb to work, you have to make sure your host side computer is on.
Once you’ve downloaded and installed Orb to your home PC, login to mycast.orb.com, using any internet-connected device with a streaming media player (mobile phone, PDA, laptop) and start MyCasting all your digital media anywhere anytime.
Your music – at the office, in the hotel, at the Wi-Fi hotspot.
- You can stream music to your laptop.
- Select songs, make playlists, right from the laptop.
- ALL your music is available (and internet radio, podcasts, and videos).
Turn your laptop into a movie screen.
- Play any movie or video that you have on your Orb PC.
- Watch from the hotel or coffee house – anywhere you have an internet connection.
Don’t miss your favorite TV shows while you are away.
- Watch live and recorded TV shows on your remote computer.
- Watch from the office, hotel or coffee house – anywhere you have an internet connection.
Photo collections should be seen
- You can enjoy your photos on any remote computer.
- It’s easy to watch – or send – slideshows with photos stored on your PC or on the internet.
- You can even set up a desktop photo widget with photos from your home computer.
Share your media with your friends
- Your friends receive an email: with their Orb FREE account, they are the only ones to see what you shared with them!
- Your media is served by your PC: safe, secure
- No more big file attachments hassles!
From a security standpoint, be very careful how you set this up. I recommend you create a public folder and copy any media files or other files you want access to to this folder. I’m always a little paranoid about making my root directories available to a 3rd party website. If you need to be able to access your root directories, I suggest setting up a virtual private network or FTP.
Orb works great with mobile phones as well. I currently have my HTC Incredible hooked up to Orb and can watch videos and listen to music from my own computer!
Windows 7, Vista, XP with Service Pack 2 or later, Mac OS X Intel 10.5 or later.
AMD Athlon 3200+ processor or 2.4Ghz Intel Pentium IV processor or equivalent (a slower processor may cause “stuttering” when streaming TV or videos)
512MB of RAM
Download at: Orb.com
Guest Writer: This is a guest post by Glenn Taggart of The Crazy World of G, one of the hardest working people I know, who brings a background as a high level super user, to the Blogging world.
Drop by Glenn’s freeware page.
If you found this article useful, why not subscribe to this Blog via RSS, or email? It’s easy; just click on this link and you’ll never miss another Tech Thoughts article.