Kick Windows Media Player to the curb! Replace it and get 5.1 Channel Output, advanced playback capabilities and more, with GOM Media Player.
I’ve never really warmed up to Windows Media Player. It’s bloated size,and outrageous overhead requirements (in my view), have always left me feeling just a little bit put out.
GOM Media Player, (the unusual name stands for Gretech Online Movie Player), has been the media player I’ve relied on for years now, and it just gets better with every release.
GOM Media Player’s support for a diverse range of file formats, it’s built in Codecs, and its advanced playback capabilities, have made it one of the most downloaded of all Windows Media Player replacements. It is the number one downloaded media player on CNET, with nearly 15,000,000 downloads to date.
GOM Media Player is a relatively small (5.77 MB) application that can play most encoded video formats including AVI, DAT, FLV, MPEG, DivX, XviD, and more, with its own built-in Codec system.
If you’re the impatient type, GOM Media Player can even play video files that are still in the process of being downloaded. As well, files that have been broken during the downloading process can still be played.
For audio/video files that GOM Media Player can not play due to a missing Codec, (I haven’t found one yet), GOM Media Player will attempt to find one using GUID; if you are interested in seeing how GUID works then go to GUID.org. Once it finds a match, you will be redirected to a download site from which you can download and install the required Codec/s.
A built-in Screen Capture utility allows you to take screenshots of your video directly from GOM Media Player. Using the Burst Capture feature, you can take up to 999 shots continuous screenshots. I love this feature!
This is my personal choice of media player, and I have yet to be disappointed with its performance. I highly recommend this excellent free application.
- DVD-quality videos with 5.1 channel audio output.
- Supports most Codecs (AVI, DAT, MPEG, DivX, FLI using an embedded Codec system
- Plays incomplete or damaged AVI file by skipping the damaged frames
- Plays Locked Media Files while downloading or sharing
- Supports HTTP Streaming ASF/OGG/MP3/AAC/MPEG PS/MPEG TS
- Subtitle, Overlay Mixer features, Keys Remapping, Super speed/High Mode
- Play Audio CD
- Play Video CD/SVCD/XCD
- Enhanced Filter Rendering
- Drag-and-drop support
- Editable skins
- Real-time index rebuilding for AVI files
- Unicode support
- Customizable settings on the control panel
- Adjust image brightness, hue, and saturation
- Sharpen and add noise to your video
- Audio equalizer
- Fast forward/rewind using left/right keys
- Repeat a section of your video using A-B Repeat feature
System Requirements: Windows 2000, XP, Vista
Note: I’m currently running this application on Windows 7 RC with no problems whatsoever.
Download at: Download.com