Is the Avira AntiVir Personal popup notifier bugging you? See how guest writer Glenn Taggart got rid of this nagging distraction.
Recently my favorite security tech guru, advised me that version 9 was now ready for download. I couldn’t immediately find an update to version 8.2 so I used my trusty Revo Uninstaller to uninstall version 8.2 and made a clean install with version 9.
For those of you who don’t use Avira, I’m the poster child, card carrying member for their product. I have tried several antivirus programs and Avira works the best in my opinion.
That being said, Avira has one drawback – A nagging notifier to upgrade to the premium version pops up every time you update the Avira database.
Well, you don’t think g would put up with a popup do ya? Heck no!
To disable this pesky notifier, simply follow these directions:
For XP and Vista Users:
1. Start-> Control Panel
2. Administrative tools-> Local security policy
3. Click on Software Restriction Policy-> Action (at the top)-> create new restriction policies
4. Right-click additional rules (on the right side)-> new path rule
5. Click Browse and navigate to C:\Program Files\(Avira)\AntiVir Desktop\ and double-click avnotify.exe
6. Set the security level to Disallowed-> apply-> ok
If you had Avira previously installed and have already disallowed this, you need to change the thread to match (which for me meant changing AntiVir Personal Classic to AntiVir Desktop).
It’s a beautiful thing my friends!
You can download Avira AntiVir Personal at Download.com.
Guest Writer: This is a guest post by Glenn Taggart of The Crazy World of G, who brings a background as a high level super user, to the Blogging world.
Why not pay a visit to Glenn’s site at The Crazy World of G.